
In a major twist to the sensational Dharmasthala “mass murders” case, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) has arrested the prime complainant who earlier claimed multiple murders, sexual assaults, and secret burials near the Dharmasthala temple. According to official sources, the arrest was made after investigators found glaring inconsistencies in his statements and supporting documents.
The complainant, a former sanitation worker who said he served at the temple between 1995 and 2014, alleged that he had been forced to bury numerous bodies—including women and minors—on the orders of temple authorities. He also claimed that some of the corpses bore signs of sexual violence. These explosive allegations led to the formation of a dedicated SIT by the Karnataka government, which began excavations in the forested areas along the Netravathi River. Skeletal remains were reportedly discovered at two sites.
On Friday, SIT chief Pranab Mohanty and his team interrogated the whistleblower until late at night. Officials later confirmed that the man was taken into custody for providing misleading information, before being sent for a medical checkup after prolonged questioning.
Earlier Complaint Declared Fake
The credibility of the case had already been shaken earlier when another complainant, Sujatha Bhat, admitted that her story was fabricated. In July, she had filed a police complaint alleging that her daughter, “Ananya Bhat,” went missing in 2003. Later, she confessed the child never existed, and the photograph she used as “proof” was also fake.
Bhat claimed she was pressured by activists, Girish Mattannavar and T. Jayanti, to concoct the narrative due to a family property dispute involving land allegedly linked to the Dharmasthala temple. “There was never any daughter named Ananya. Nobody asked me for money either. My only concern was how my grandfather’s property was transferred without my consent,” she clarified in a media interview.
Temple Authorities Call It a “False Campaign”
Veerendra Heggade, the Dharmadhikari of the Dharmasthala Manjunatha Swamy Temple, strongly refuted the allegations, stating that the institution has been the target of a coordinated smear campaign for over 14 years. “Some elements, irked by the social and charitable work we do, spread falsehoods against us. But we remain unshaken,” he told PTI.
Meanwhile, Karnataka Home Minister G. Parameshwara remarked that the investigation is still in its early stages. “So far, only excavations have been carried out. The actual probe is yet to begin. Any further steps will be decided solely by the SIT,” he said.
As the case continues to unfold with shocking contradictions and retractions, the SIT is expected to intensify its probe to separate fact from fabrication.